A Whole Week for the Parks!
It’s almost National Park Week! A special week to celebrate our national parks and public lands. The week kicks off this Saturday the 17th on what’s being called Park Prescription Day (each day of National Park Week has a theme) and it’s just what the doctor ordered! Entrance fees are waived at all national parks on that day. So if you were looking for an excuse to get to your favorite park, now you have one!
So, as we mentioned, each of the days of National Park Week has a special theme. And despite the name, the whole “week” is actually nine days of celebration. Here’s the line up:
- Park Rx Day (April 17): #ParkRx, #HealthyParksHealthyPeople
- Volunteer Sunday (April 18): #NPSVolunteer
- Military Monday (April 19): #MilitaryMonday
- Transformation Tuesday (April 20): #TransformationTuesday, #NPSOnTheMove
- Wayback Wednesday (April 21): #WaybackWednesday
- Earth Day (April 22): #EarthDay
- Friendship Friday (April 23): #FriendshipFriday, #NPSFriends
- National Junior Ranger Day (April 24): #JuniorRangerDay
- BARK Ranger Day (April 25): #BARKRanger
As you can see there is a lot going on, and a lot of cool activities and projects in which you can participate . But that’s not all, because…
National Park Week is also Virtual
Each of the national parks has a dedicated social media team, and this coming week, they will be working overtime to bring you plenty of content. So if you can’t be in the parks in person, you can at least be there in spirit. The parks are on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, all the big ones. (Notice all those hashtags up there?) You can Find Your Virtual Park on this official directory on nps.gov.
Consider Giving Back
In addition to all the fun stuff happening this coming week, the parks use National Park Week to help bring awareness to the importance of our public lands. They join with the National Park Foundation to raise funds for the parks. While the national parks do get federal support, sometimes they need a little extra. So if you want to lend a hand, you’ll have the option to give to the national parks.
Now is the perfect time to appreciate, explore, and support the national parks. And it’s also the perfect time to go outside and play!